Friday, January 18, 2008

Sea Hag's Ultra Fabulous 2007 Music Review : Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!















Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!
Some Loud Thunder

I really, really, really, really, really liked CYHSY's last album from the first time I heard it, so I was pretty excited about their new one, but I was a little cautious too, because this was one of those 'sophomore albums' that could cement them as an awesome band or exile them to 'their first album was a fluke' status. Also, CYHSY gained their fanbase for their first album via the internet instead of a record company (they were unsigned and produced it themselves. Actually, they even mailed out orders for their CDs to customers themselves), so it was going to be interesting to see what happened after I learned that they had finally signed with a record label.

The verdict is: well, the jury's still out on this one. It's not that I don't like it, but of the few times I have listened to it, it didn't grab me like their first album did. That's OK though, some of my favorite albums are ones that grew on me as times passed and I listened to them more and I think this one probably will too. It's a little quieter and doesn't have some of the fun, happy pop stuff that the last one did, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Eventually I will just have to work it into my rotation of stuff I listen to on my iPod and see what I feel about it.

Recommended songs:
Ask me again later

No comments: