Friday, January 04, 2008

Sea Hag's Ultra Fabulous 2007 Music Review : Blonde Redhead















Blonde Redhead
23

Pitchfork Media says of this album: "Somewhere underneath all the high-gloss, ornamental swirlies and lacquered doilies are haphazardly camouflaged well-written songs." To this I say (as I usually say about Pitchfork) : shut up, you bunch of tools. This is a good album, and one of the reasons I like it is because it is so totally and lushly hyper-produced. Its true that most of the vocals are pushed back to the point that you can't understand what they're saying, but I like music where the voice isn't predominant but is utilized as another instrument. The Changelings and My Bloody Valentine do this too, and they are both excellent.

I just discovered Blonde Redhead this year when Michael and I made a run on Steak 'N' Shake one night and had Album 88 on while we waited at the drive-thru. (Album 88, or WRAS-FM, is Georgia State University's radio station. I just got into listening to them about a year ago.) A song came on that I didn't recognize but I liked instantly, and it turned out to be "Spring and by Summer Fall" by Blonde Redhead, so I went ahead and got their CD. I haven't heard any of their older stuff so I don't know how this CD stacks up to their previous work, but I'm definintely going to check it out some time.

Recommended songs:
"23"
"Dr. Strangeluv"
"Silently"
"Spring and by Summer Fall"

No comments: