Thursday, November 29, 2007

Sea Hag Loves New York!

(No, I'm talking about the place, not the show recap that no one liked.)

So I'm going to New York City tomorrow and it's going to be the shit! In honor of my trip I compiled The Best New York-Related Music EVAR!!!!11!!1! playlist to listen to on my iPod:

1. New York, New York - Ryan Adams
This was the first song that popped in my head when I thought of New York.

2. Dear Chicago - Ryan Adams
I wrote a short story loosely based on this lyric:
I think the thing you said was true;
I'm going to die alone and sad.
The wind's feeling real these days.
Yeah, baby, it hurts me some.
Never thought I'd feel so blue.
New York City, you're almost gone.
I think that I've fallen out of love;
I think I've fallen out of love...with you


3. Shakedown on 9th Street - Ryan Adams
Ryan Adams sure does love him some New York City.

4. Off Broadway- Ryan Adams
See what I mean?

5. A Murder of One (live) - Counting Crows
In the live version of this song, Adam Duritz adds this bit to the song:
I have been to Paris
And I have been to Rome
And I have gone to London
And I am all alone
I have been to Paris
I have been to Rome
I've been to New York City
And I am all alone

6. Lit Up - The National
So lit up, lit up, lit up alright
I try to untie Manhattan
Lit up, lit up, lit up alright
I try to untie

7. The Only Living Boy In New York - Simon & Garfunkel
The first time I came up with a New York playlist I somehow left this one out. I don't know what was wrong with me.

8. Marching Bands of Manhattan - Death Cab For Cutie
If I could open my arms
And span the length of the isle of Manhattan
I'd bring it to where you are
Making a lake of the East River and Hudson

9. Handsome Furs Hate This City - The Handsome Furs
OK, The Handsome Furs never actually say they hate New York City, but I liked this song so much I figured I'd stretch the parameters of the playlist a bit.

10. No Sleep Till Brooklyn - Beastie Boys
You gotta put a Beastie Boys song in here somewhere!

11. I Can't See New York - Tori Amos
This song's pretty sad. It's about the World Trade Center.

12. Ghost - Neutral Milk Hotel
And one day in New York City, baby
A girl fell from the sky
From the top of a burning apartment building
Fourteen stories high
And when her spirit left her body
How it split the sun
I know that she will live forever
All goes on and on

I've read in several places that this entire album is about Anne Frank. I don't know if this is true or not, but they mentioned New York City so it made it in.

13. Angel of Harlem - U2
This is not my favorite U2 song, but I can't help but include it.

14. The World I Know - Collective Soul
I drink myself of newfound pity
Sitting alone in New York City
And I don't know why

15. Song For Myla Goldberg - The Decemberists
I know New York, I need New York
I know I need unique New York
I know New York, I need New York
I know I need unique New York

Say that five times fast!

16. Detach - Mobius Band
You sleep on a subway car
when the day's not long enough to wander

They get included because of the subway mention, and also because they live in Brooklyn.

17. New York State Of Mind -Billy Joel
This one was too easy.

18. City Vs. Country - Mobius Band
The city life hushed her, she will erase.
In a comin' down to the subway.
And the light of the train flicker off across your face ok, ok

This one made it on the list for the same reasons as the other Mobius Band song. Oh! And I might go see them in concert while I'm there! Bonus points!

19. 6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers
What the hell ever happened to these guys, anyway?

20. Hotel Chelsea Nights - Ryan Adams
I'm totally going to go by Hotel Chelsea.

21. My Blue Manhattan - Ryan Adams
This one is good to put on here because it has a Christmas-y feel to it too.

22. Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
This one is a Christmas song, and you have to love any Christmas song that starts off with It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank.

23. Famous Blue Raincoat - Tori Amos
It's four in the morning, the end of December
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
New York is cold, but I like where I'm living
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening.

24. The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!
Far, far away from West Virginia
I'll try New York City
Explaining that the sky holds you in

The sun rushes in and a child
With a shotgun can shoot down the honeybees that sting
But this boy could use a little sting

25. China - Tori Amos
China, all the way to New York,
I can feel the distance getting close

26. Ruby Soho - Rancid
Yeah... I really, really really stretched it with this one.

27. Daughters of the Soho Riots - The National
This is a good song. I highly recommend The National for all of your awesome listening needs.

28. Adventures of the Empress of Harlem and the Subway Boy - Joe Firstman
I have no idea who this guy is, but Noochie introduced me to this song.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Ryan Adams lurves him some Big Onion. And he's a Golden God. But you didn't even include them all. Let's not forget ...

"Damn, Sam (I Love a Woman That Rains)"
I'm as calm as a fruit stand in New York, and maybe as strange

"Sweet Lil' Gal (23rd/1st)"
Steals my shirt/23rd and 1st

"Tina Toledo's Street Walkin' Blues"
She lives in Brooklyn, but she works outta Queens

"City Rain, City Streets"
And all the city snow/freezes the Chelsea Hotel/It stones the Chelsea girls/It stones the Chelsea boys

"29"
I was a poor little kid in the lungs of New York

"Ah, Life"
Michael and Victoria, they live in Central Park

"Cannonball Days"
You fired away with your drunken brigade/In the streets of New York as a child

"Drugs Not Working"
I was swimming through the streets of New York/with my cocaine dagger and throats to cut

Sea Hag said...

Thank you for setting me straight, Nooch.