Friday, June 27, 2008

Candy Ramadan: Day 8

For today's treat we will go to Germany for the Niederegger Lubeck Marzipan Classic bar. This is marzipan covered in bittersweet chocolate., and let me tell you, it's pretty damn good. I've had marzipan before but I've never had it paired with bittersweet chocolate. The result is a bar that is full of subtle almond and chocolate flavors and isn't super-sweet. They have other flavors that I'm totally going to get next time I'm at World Market. Well, maybe I should find another place to get them, because I noticed after I started eating it that the bar's expiration bate was June 18, 2008. Is it possible that the red bean candy I ate was expired, too? Is it possible that red bean candy would be good if it was fresh? That can't be true...that's - that's impossible. Thinking along those lines can only lead to madness. Madness, I tell you!

For those of you who haven't had marzipan, it's basically a paste made from ground-up almonds and sugar. They love that shit over in Europe, they make sculptures that look like fruit and animals out of it and eat it for Christmas. When I was in Germany years ago they had marzipan candy all over the place but I didn't try any. I was too busy stuffing my face with sausages. That... sounded vaguely dirty. Anyway, marzipan isn't well-known here in the States, unless it's the Homestar Runner character. I'm not sure why, maybe because it isn't as tooth-meltingly sweet as other candies. Plus it has kind of an odd texture, a little gritty and oily at the same time. But paired with chocolate it's really, really good.

By the way, I am really and honestly doing Operation: Af-Candy-Stan so if you have any suggestions on where I can send a candy donation PLEASE tell me!! The Reese's Piece Corps needs your help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why do you keep running into issues with World Market candy? Maybe it isn't the House of Wonder we all thought it was. At some point, you need to make a trip to get something really unique during this holiday season. There's gotta be some awesome candy spot in your vicinity.